Life Goals – When You’re 16 Years Old
Recently, I was looking for some old photographs, I found my diary from when I was 15-17 years old. Somehow it has managed to survive moves to multiple countries, and the occasional fire and flood.
I have journaled many times in my life; sometimes while traveling, sometimes for craft, sometimes to get over difficult situations, and sometimes, as in this case, to express my thoughts without judgement.
This little, 3 x 5 inch diary is a treasure trove of insight. Now, in my wizened adult eyes, I find its contents charming, innocent, silly, and somewhat true to who I am.
When thumbing through it, I found a folded up piece of paper, with writing on top: ‘Before 30’ and a list. Hmm?
Bucket List Goals from a 16-year-old to do before I reach 30
Indeed, this is my 16-year-old self’s Bucket List goals to do Before my 30th. Because basically when you’re 16 years old, 30 is the end of good run, right?
I had a very good laugh, and also felt a sweet pang of wistfulness at my teen goals.
Before 30 ->
- Amature Comedy Tryout in SF (& win)
- Publish a short story or more
- Write a Novel
- Sing background for the O’Jays
- Write or produce a ^hit comedy movie
- Try out for a play & get a good part
- Publish some of my photographs
- Own a vintage sports car
- Own my own house anywhere
- Work for a large company
- Have a well t[r]ained White furry dog
- Work in a studio
- Have my picture in a magazine
Let’s see how I did!
I am well past 30 years old now. How did I do?
- My theatrical self was not motivated enough, perhaps the ‘winning’ was not goal enough.
- I have had my photographs published.
- I have owned a house – the ‘anywhere’ part was very generous, mostly the ‘where’ has always been too expensive.
- I have worked for several large companies, and that has always been a great learning experience.
- I’m not sure what I meant by ‘have my picture in a magazine’ but perhaps my portrait? Adult me is kind of glad that didn’t happen.
- Sadly, I have never owned a ‘Well trained White Furry dog’. You were very specific, 16 year old me!
- The vintage sports car was a bit of a curse.
Note to 16 year old self – make sure you can buy two, and use one for parts.
My photography and writing have always endured, and I am very glad for that.
I guess I need to phone the O’Jays.