Things to do in Vancouver
This Vancouver events calendar is maintained by me as a resource for people who travel to Vancouver, or live in Vancouver and just want to know what local events are happening.
- This event has passed.
Bard On The Beach, Vancouver Shakespeare Festival
June 11, 2013 - September 14, 2013
2013 Season. Bard on the Beach, Vancouver’s annual Shakespeare Festival brings to life the magic of Shakespeare’s great plays.
2013 plays include Twelfth Night, Hamlet, Measure for Measure, and Elizabeth Rex. The Festival site is located on the waterfront in Vancouver’s Vanier Park, adjacent to the downtown core.
Tickets for Bard on the Beach Shakespeare Festival go on sale April 8, 2013, kicking off the 24th season of Vancouver’s signature summer theatre festival, which returns to its seaside home in Vanier Park from June 12 to September 14, 2013.
Bard’s 2013 season launches with two productions on the BMO Mainstage. First up is the playful romantic comedy TWELFTH NIGHT, directed by Dennis Garnhum (Artistic Director, Theatre Calgary). Playing in repertory with Twelfth Night is the iconic Shakespearean tragedy, HAMLET, directed by Kim Collier (co-founder, Electric Theatre Company). In the intimate 240-seat Douglas Campbell Studio Stage tent, Vancouver’s John Murphy directs an early-jazz-era version of the dark comedy, MEASURE FOR MEASUREwhile Vancouver director & dramaturg Rachel Ditor helms Canadian playwright Timothy Findley’s award-winning ELIZABETH REX, playing in repertory with Measure for Measure.
Bard’s 2013 productions showcase three of Shakespeare’s most revered and popular plays, complemented by a Canadian play set in Shakespeare’s era. Twelfth Night brings romance and intrigue, as everyone at Europe’s What You Will Hotel and Spa seems to be falling in love with wrong person. In the great tragedy Hamlet, a troubled young man tries to make sense of a modern-day world where power still corrupts absolutely. Measure For Measure is set in early-1900s New Orleans, and live jazz plays a featured role. In Elizabeth Rex the setting is Elizabethan England, as the great Queen meets up with Shakespeare’s acting company the night before her traitorous lover is due to be executed. Notes Bard Artistic DirectorChristopher Gaze, “Vancouver audiences have told us they want to see us produce some non-Shakespearean works that complement his world and his themes; Elizabeth Rex fits that description perfectly.”
Run dates and Special Events are as follows:
- Twelfth Night – June 12 to September 14 (BMO Mainstage) • Opening Night June 26, 2013
- Hamlet – June 13 to September 12 (BMO Mainstage) • Opening Night June 29, 2013
- Measure For Measure – July 3 to September 13 (Studio Stage) • Opening Night July 11, 2013
- Elizabeth Rex – July 5 to September 11 (Studio Stage) • Opening Night July 14, 2013
- Bard Explored: Lecture Series – July 15 & 29, August 12 & 19
- Bard Explored: Shakespeare’s Rebel – Book launch and sword fight event – July 22
- Bard-B-Q & Fireworks – Play plus sit-down salmon barbecue & fireworks viewing: July 27 & 31,August 3
- Celebrating Red & White – Wine Tasting following the matinee performances and before the evening shows: August 17
- Viva Verdi! (Opera & Arias) – UBC Opera Ensemble & members of Vancouver Opera Orchestra, hosted by Christopher Gaze: August 26 & September 2.